Pork chops are a good dinner staple because of how easily and quickly they cook. There are so many ways to prepare pork chops so when I find them on sale at the grocery store I buy a couple packs and stick them in the freezer. This time I had some apples and sweet potatoes that needed to be used. And since I was throwing this together last minute at the end of the week I only had what was already on hand.
Despite the simple ingredient list, these pork chops were juicy and full of so much flavor. I did a half and half mix of sweet potato- mashed potatoes that are always a hit with my family. Even my picky eater likes them because they aren’t that different from normal potatoes.
These can easily be made in 30 minutes which makes it a great option for a quick weeknight meal. You might like some of our other favorite pork chop meals like the Asian style Black Pepper Pork or the Sweet and Sour style Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Pork.
Is pork a staple at your house?
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4 Pork Chops, 1½ inch thick
- 2 apples, chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Cajun Spice Mix
- Parlsey, for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- Sprinkle Cajun spice mix over pork chops. Use more for a bolder flavor, go light for a subtle flavor.
- Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to a large skillet heated over medium-high heat. Add seasoned pork chops and cook for 1-2 minutes or until you get a good sear. Flip and cook for 1-2 additional minutes or until browned. Remove pork chops from skillet and transfer to a cookie sheet. Place in a heated oven and cook for 5-10 minutes until cooked through. May need more or less time depending on thickness. Remove from oven and let rest, tented with foil for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil to the same skillet the pork chops were in. Add onions and garlic and cook over medium high heat until beginning to brown and soften, about 2-3 minutes. Add apples and continue to saute for an additional 1-2 minutes. Add ½ cup water and turn heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.