Do you have an El Pollo Loco near you? I think it may be a mostly West Coast chain of Mexican fast food. I remember my mom picking up the food when I was little and loving the juicy chicken stuffed in a tortilla with some pinto beans. It was so simple but always hit the spot. Eventually she came up with a recipe that is very similar to El Pollo Loco’s chicken. Now I make my mother’s version of El Pollo Loco’s chicken. This is just really good chicken.
I love simple recipes that don’t take much prep work and this is one of them. This chicken is great because the marinade takes less than five minutes to make and you can just throw the chicken in and forget about it. You can cook this on the grill or under the broiler whatever you have available and either way it will turn out great!
Want some easy recipes? Get my e-book with 30 days of Easy Recipes!
- ¼ c. corn oil
- ¼ c. melted butter
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 (2 ½ to 3 lb.) chicken breasts
- Combine oil, butter, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and lemon juice in large shallow pan. Add chicken halves, turning to coat well. Cover and marinate several hours or overnight.
- Remove chicken from marinade, cook over medium coals on barbeque grill, or 4- inches from source of heat under broiler, until browned on both side and meat is done, turning and basting frequently, about 30 minutes.
- Cut chicken halves into pieces to serve with beans and rice, corn or flour tortillas and salsa, if desired. Makes 6 servings.
- Family preference is bone-in chicken breasts.