I’ve mentioned before how much I love Pinterest. It has exposed me (in the non-flasher way) to all sorts of new people and new blogs. Not that I now follow all those blogs but I’ve at least explored there blogs for a while. I usually glean some new ideas and they hopefully benefit from the increased traffic flow. I’ve even benefited from Pinterest. I found out I had been pinned by people I don’t even know! Yipee! It was a good day in my eyes. Anywhoo…so I try a lot of recipes from Pinterest and do love lots of them but I’ve come across a few that haven’t really worked for us.
One of those recipes was these Korean Style Short Ribs from What’s Cookin, Chicago? They looked delicious but we were kind of underwhelmed by them. Didn’t hate them but didn’t love them. Kind of underwhelmed by flavor and overwhelmed by the grease. Total bummer. But I was not about to give up on it. Try try again!
I’ve made it twice now and have absolutely loved it. It is now solidly engrossed in the favorite meal list. The main change- separating the fat from the sauce- it was a major factor I believe in allowing the flavor of the sauce through. I also changed out the type of ribs because whenever I’ve made it it seems to fall apart anyways. Just my preference. So go check out the recipe below and remember to have hope when you find a recipe you really want to like!
Not sure if your family will be interested in trying something new like this dish? Visit my kid-friendly Asian food guide for tips, tricks, and resources to help introduce new foods to your family.
Do you follow Jonesin’ For Taste on Facebook? Stop by, say hi, and let me know what kinds of recipes you want to see!
Slow Cooker Korean Style Short Ribs
- 1 cup soy sauce, or gluten free tamari
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 Tbsp sesame oil
- 4 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 lbs beef short ribs
- 1-2 green onions, sliced thin for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 tsp white sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Mix first 7 ingredients together in crock pot.
- Add short ribs and press down to make sure sauce mostly covers. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove meat from slow cooker. Pour sauce into gravy separator in batches. Let fat rise to top. Pour sauce (that is on the bottom of the gravy separator) back over ribs and toss the fat away. Repeat as needed for the remaining sauce.
- Serve with rice and garnished with green onions and sesame seeds
For gluten free cooking make sure to use gluten free tamari instead of the soy sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 409 Saturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 73mg Sodium: 1713mg Carbohydrates: 30g Sugar: 27g Protein: 27g
adapted from What’s Cookin, Chicago?