We are granola hounds or as my 3 year old says “coronas”. So if you happen to hear him ask for some corona with milk (I don’t even drink and this sounds like the worst cocktail ever!) just know he’s not asking for the beer but some granola.
Anyways, we love granola but the commercial stuff is SO sweet. It gives me a toothache and makes me feel a little nauseous. Plus I can make a ton at home for just a fraction of the cost of buying a pound. I buy the oats in bulk at Costco and the add ins on sale at our local Sprouts and Trader Joe’s.
There are a few staples in our house of vanilla almond granola and chocolate granola. I happen to like fruit in my granola but am not a huge fan of raisins so I set out to make something just a little different. This tropical granola really hits the spot being not too sweet but having nice little bursts of fruit. It’s quickly become a favorite even with my husband who loathes granola with fruit. He’s a bit of a purist.
The coconut strips and mandarin slices were from Trader Joe’s and the macadamia nuts, dried pineapple, and dried mango were from Sprouts bulk bins.
The coconut strips are a bit chunky so I cut them in half and roughly sliced them. I wasn’t trying to go for shredded status just a little thinner.
And you’ll need to slice up the fruit into bite sized pieces and give a rough chop to the nuts. I didn’t have to do anything to the pineapple because it was already in a small dice.
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup coconut strips, sliced into bite sized pieces
- ½ cup chopped macadamia nuts
- ¼ cup dried pineapple dices
- ¼ cup dried mango, cut into bite sized pieces
- ¼ cup dried mandarin slices, cut into bite sized slices
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup honey
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, macadamia nuts. and coconut.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut extract, coconut oil. and honey. Pour honey mixture over the oat mixture and stir until the oats are well coated.
- Spread the granola over greased rimmed cookie sheet(s) . Press granola down slightly. Bake for 15 minutes. Stir and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and allow to cool completely. Break apart and add in the dried fruit. Store in an airtight container.
- Serve over yogurt or with milk.