Easy Healthy Grilled Buffalo Chicken
With just 3 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep this Easy Grilled Buffalo Chicken is a healthier version of the classic buffalo chicken ready in 20 minutes.
Table of contents
I’ve adapted the recipe from one I found in Rachael Ray Magazine but I cut out about half the steps. I love how quickly the hummus and buffalo sauce comes together.
I’m sure at some point along the way we have all asked ourselves, is buffalo chicken healthy? Not really. It’s traditionally breaded and the sauce is made with lots of butter and hot sauce. That’s lots of calories. This version is a lot healthier and is one of our favorite staple recipes.
Usually I make enough to baste the chicken with and then make a separate batch to serve at the table. Because the buffalo hummus sauce is only 52 calories for two tablespoons I don’t have to feel bad about dipping my chicken in it. We really like the nuttiness that you get from using the hummus and it’s definitely a lot healthier.
We prefer boneless skinless chicken thighs to chicken breasts because they stay juicer when cooked or baked. I’ve included instructions for how to grill or bake the buffalo chicken.
If you use an indoor grill pan I have found it might take a few extra minutes to cook because it doesn’t seem to get as hot as an outdoor grill.
What to eat with this?
Often, we will have this buffalo chicken over rice (we eat a LOT of rice) but I think it’s also great in a salad topped with blue cheese or ranch or as a buffalo chicken sandwich! This is a great base to start with and then do whatever you want with it.
You would also serve it with this Southwestern 7 Layered Dips or Grilled Caesar Asparagus.
Also, you could slice it and use it for an extra spicy Buffalo Chicken Pizza.
Do you follow Jonesin’ For Taste on Facebook? Let me know what you think of this recipe and tell me what kinds of recipes you want to see!
Try these other grill recipes
- 1/2 cup prepared hummus
- 1/4 cup buffalo hot sauce like Frank’s Red Hot
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Heat grill to medium high heat. Alternatively, you can use an oven set to 425 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the hummus and buffalo hot sauce until thoroughly mixed.
- Brush one side of the chicken thighs with the buffalo hummus mixture. Lay the chicken thighs down on the grill with the sauce side down. Brush the other side with the buffalo sauce.
- Cook the chicken thighs on the grill for about 5-7 minutes per side until cooked through. If using the oven bake for about 20-25 minutes until cooked through.
I love that you grilled it! I’m going to try that next time I want Buffalo chicken.
Grilling definitely saves a ton of calories over breading and frying!
I never mixed buffalo and hummus, sounds like a great combo!
It sounds like an odd mix but it’s amazingly good and so fast it’s silly!