Growing up in California I have been exposed to wonderful Mexican foods. For Christmas Eve it is a family tradition to have a giant Mexican spread for dinner. I love it and my husband who also grew up in California and Arizona also loves it. So the challenge is to find a good variety of dishes to make.
I was introduced to mole while in college and instantly fell in love.
What is mole?
Mole is a sauce traditionally prepared with chili peppers, and often with chocolate.
I really enjoy this dish as enchiladas and it is super easy to make. It’s spicy and the best thing is you can make it more or less spicy according to your tastes. I hope you can enjoy this as much as my family has. Felicidades!
Not sure how to make this dish more kid friendly? Get lots of tips in my resource guide on How To Make Latin American Food Kid Friendly.
What to eat with enchiladas?
Looking for other Latin American inspired dishes:
Mole Chicken Enchiladas
- 14.5 oz fire-roasted diced tomatoes canned
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic quartered
- 1 Tbsp Mexican hot sauce
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp raisins
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground coriander
- 2 lbs chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 15 oz. red enchilada sauce canned
- 10 flour tortillas
- 1 cup Mexican-blend cheese
- For mole sauce, in a blender container or food processor bowl combine undrained tomatoes, onion, garlic, peppers, cocoa powder, raisins, sesame seeds, sugar, salt, and spices. Cover and blend or process until the mixture is a course puree.
- In a 3.5 to 4-quart slow cooker place chicken and then sauce. Cover, cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 11 hours or on high heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from cooker. Make a roux with the flour and water and stir into the sauce in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 15 to 20 more minutes. Reserve one cup sauce and stir into the enchilada sauce.
- Set oven to broil. Roll meat mixture into flour tortillas and place into a 9 by 13 greased pan. Pour enchilada/ mole sauce mixture over enchiladas. Top with cheese and place in oven until cheese is melted, about 5 to 10 minutes. Serve with rice and beans.
Adapted from Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes by Better Homes and Gardens