Chicken enfrijoladas (pronounced en-free-ho-la-dahs) are similar to enchiladas but filled with shredded chicken and cheese and covered in a delicious black bean sauce.
I had it at a restaurant once and had to make it at home ASAP. So yummy!
How to make enfrijoladas?
- Simmer black beans in their own sauce with spices and chicken broth. Blend to create a smooth sauce.
- Dip tortillas in the black bean sauce. Place shredded chicken and cheese in the tortilla.
- Roll up the tortilla and place in a prepared pan. Repeat to fill pan.
- Cover with additional black bean sauce and cheese if desired.
- Bake or broil until warmed through. Serve with sour cream and salsa or fresh tomatoes in herbs.
Need tips on how to get your kids excited about trying new dishes like this? Read through my resource guide on How To Make Latin American Food Kid Friendly!
If you are looking for some other great dishes to serve with enfrijoladas try these:
- 2 16 oz cans black beans undrained
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cilantro
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- 2 lbs chicken shredded
- 8 flour tortillas
- 8 oz Mexican cheese
- cilantro optional for topping
- tomatoes optional for topping
- avocado optional for topping
- sour cream optional for topping
- Saute garlic and spices and salt in olive oil over medium heat until fragant. Add un-drained beans and chicken stock to pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour mixture into a blender. Add 1/4-1/2 cup water if needed to loosen up sauce.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a 9x13 glass pan with cooking spray.
- Dip tortillas in the black bean sauce, fill with chicken and cheese and roll like an enchilada. Place into the prepared pan.
- Repeat until pan is full. Pour a little more of the black bean sauce over the stuffed tortillas. Sprinkle with extra Mexican cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until warmed through and cheese has melted. Top with additional cheese, avocados, cilantro, sour cream, or fresh tomatoes.