This easy Nutella poke cake only needs 5 ingredients! Dress up a chocolate cake mix with a Nutella glaze, cool whip, and chocolate chips for a wonderfully moist and flavorful make ahead dessert.
It’s almost silly to even share this recipe with you. The Nutella Poke Cake has 5 ingredients but it was so amazing!
We took it to a get together with another family and everyone had seconds- and a few had thirds! The flavor is amazing and the cake is so moist it is out of this world!
I decided to make it for my birthday again this year. I love how quick and easy it is to make and that it’s a nice cake to enjoy during the summer months.
Ingredients you need:
- Chocolate cake
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Cool Whip or whipped cream
- Mini chocolate chips
I use a boxed chocolate cake mix for this but you could always make chocolate cake from scratch.
Whenever I use a boxed cake mix I swap milk and melted butter for the water and vegetable oil called for. It just turns out tasting better.
How to make poke cake?
- Make a chocolate cake from scratch or from a boxed mix.
- After the cake comes out of the oven, use a fork or a cocktail stick and poke lots of holes all over the cake.
- Then, combine sweetened condensed milk with Nutella and pour over the top of the still warm cake so it soaks into the cake. Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Once you have added the glaze and the cake has cooled, cover the glaze with the cool whip or homemade whipped cream. Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips on top.
- Now is the time to chill the cake. The chill time is important so the glaze gets soaked into the cake and all of the different layers set. If you don’t do this step your cake topping will slide right off and that’s really sad!
The Nutella glaze is insanely tasty! I may have stolen some spoonfuls of just the glaze while making this cake. Fair warning has been given!
For a step-by-step tutorial, click below to watch my video tutorial.
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL (IT’S FREE!) AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
TOP TIPS FOR COOKING WITH KIDS
Let kids have fun with the poking! A fork or chopstick works really well for poking the holes.
The other part that kids may have the most fun with is sprinkling the chocolate chips on at the end.
Really little kids might be most engaged by helping at the beginning and the end while older children will be more willing to help throughout.
See here for more tips on cooking with kids!
Do you follow Jonesin’ For Taste on Facebook? Stop by, say hi, and let me know what kinds of recipes you want to see!
For more easy cake recipes:
- Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream Brownie Cake
- Easy Orange Pound Cake
- Funfetti Cake In a Mug
- Sprinkle Cloud Cake
- 1 chocolate cake mix prepared per box directions
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 16 oz container cool whip thawed
- Mini chocolate chips for topping
- Prepare cake according to box directions. Allow to cool slightly.
- Stir Nutella and sweetened condensed milk in a bowl until well combined.
- Poke holes with a fork or knife all over the cake. Pour nutella mixture over the top.
- Spread thawed cool whip over the top.
- Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, best if done overnight.