Strawberries have always been one of my favorite fruits. And this year because of the mild winter weather we’ve been able to get some really great deals on strawberries already this year. So last week when strawberries were on sale I grabbed a couple extra containers so I could finally make a fresh strawberry pie. But I was really disappointed to find that so many of the strawberry pies used jello in them. For some reason that just ruined it for me. So I adapted a couple recipes and came up with a nothing but strawberries pie.
I loved how it turned out- not too sweet, plenty of strawberries, and a nice tangy kick from the orange juice. So with pi day just around the corner here is another pie to go along with the Apple Berry Pie I posted Monday or our family’s favorite No Bake Cherry Cream Cheese Pie.
And Pi Day is kind of a big deal this year because on 3/14/15 at 9:26 am it will the closest we will ever come to actually hitting pi (3.1415926)! The math nerd in me is geeking out. So I’m planning on sharing my inner geek with my kids and ready to enjoy watching my husband roll his eyes at me. But I’m okay with that.
I just loved how these strawberries looked all squished into the pie crust. And I finally got to use my cute (affiliate link) red pie plate I got for my grandma this Christmas. It made me so excited.
I will note that having the strawberries whole did create a little bit of difficulty for the kids. I looked over to see my son trying to shove a giant strawberry in his mouth and had to tell him to put it down so I could cut it up for him. So I changed the recipe to have you halve the strawberries which would make them much more manageable. And if you have some extra large strawberries you might want to quarter them.
We took this to my uncle’s house and his 5-year old declared he didn’t like strawberry pie and proceeded to inhale his pie faster than my two who were also shoveling pie into their little mouths. I considered that a big stamp of approval.
- 1 pre-baked 9 inch pie crust or graham cracker crust (if you prefer that)
- For puree filling:
- 1 lb strawberries, rinsed and quartered
- 1 cup sugar
- zest of 1 orange
- juice of ½ an orange (about ¼ cup)
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- Additional 1 lb strawberries, halved, and if extra large quartered
- Whipped cream (optional)
- In a food processor, blend 1 lb strawberries with the sugar, orange zest, orange juice, and cornstarch. Pour mixture into a skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk. Bring to a boil and cook for about 1 more minute stirring constantly until mixture beings to thicken. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Rinse and halve the additional 1 lb strawberries and arrange in your baked pie crust. Pour cooled strawberry puree over the strawberries and gently shake to allow the puree to settle in between the strawberries. Refrigerate for several hours before serving. Top with whipped cream.