Simple homemade strawberry sauce is a fruit compote that can be made with frozen or fresh strawberries for an easy topping for many breakfast and desserts. Strawberries are hands down my favorite fruit. I like different flavor pancakes but if you give me a choice of syrups or sauces I will always go with strawberry over anything else.
It just feels right to me- or maybe I’m just a little strawberry crazed. I’m going to chalk it up to all the homemade strawberry jam my mom made growing up. It spoiled me and now I always want strawberries!
Ingredients needed to make strawberry sauce
You need only a few simple ingredients to make homemade strawberry compote. Here’s what you’ll need:
How to make strawberry sauce
- To a saucepan, add chopped strawberries, water, and sugar. Allow mixture to come to a boil and then simmer for 6-7 minutes until juices have released.
- Meanwhile, combine cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl.
- Add cornstarch mixture to strawberry mixture and mix thoroughly. Continue to simmer for 3-4 minutes.
If you like a smoother sauce, instead of a chunky one, before adding the cornstarch put the strawberry mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. Return mixture to pan and add the cornstarch mixture and continue with the recipe.
If you would like to make strawberry sauce without the cornstarch, you can replace the cornstarch with 3 Tbsp chia seeds.
What to use strawberry sauce for?
There are so many ways to use strawberry sauce. Here are a few ideas:
- ice cream
Fruit sauce variations you can make:
To make blueberry sauce, use 4 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen, and 2 Tbsp lemon juice instead of the strawberries.
You can also use raspberries or blackberries, but depending on tartness you may need to add another 1-2 Tbsp sugar.
At Costco, I usually buy a bag of frozen triple berries. They are terrific in this recipe.
Do you follow Jonesin’ For Taste on Facebook? Stop by, say hi, and let me know what kinds of recipes you want to see!
Recipes to use homemade fruit sauce with:
- Sourdough Pancakes
- Blender Chocolate Pancakes
- Mini No Bake Cheesecakes
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Brownies
Simple Homemade Strawberry Sauce
- 3 cups strawberries chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a small saucepan, add strawberries, 1/2 cup water, and 2 Tbsp sugar and heat to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 6-7 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch and 1/4 cold water till well mixed together.
- Add cornstarch mixture to strawberry sauce and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until desired thickness.