This post is sponsored in conjunction with Christmas Cookies Week. I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the Christmas Cookies Week recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
These iced peppermint cookie bars are made with a sugar cookie base with a hint of peppermint topped with peppermint buttercream icing.
Go and enter in the Christmas Cookies Giveaway for a chance to win one of a few awesome prizes!
Tips for using all natural food coloring
For this I recipe I used the Adams Extract All Natural Food Coloring. It’s made with vegetable oil and natural colorants. I love the idea of using an all natural coloring and it worked well in the frosting.
The color is a more subtle color than if you used regular food coloring and I found that it wasn’t the best to use in the cookie dough. It takes a lot to color something large like the dough and went it baked the color didn’t come through.
My advice is to use a little bit to start with the first time so you can get a feel for it.
When I made the cookie bars, I used peppermint extract instead of the usual vanilla. It was a nice way to unite the cookie bars with the peppermint buttercream.
The little candy cane sprinkles from Sprinkles Pop were just perfect for these peppermint cookie bars. They were the perfect way to carry the theme through all the way.
Other cookie recipes:
Do you follow Jonesin’ For Taste on Facebook? Stop by, say hi, and let me know what kinds of recipes you want to see!
Iced Peppermint Cookie Bars
Iced Peppermint Cookie Bars
Cookie Bar Base
- 1 cup butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- 10 drops food coloring
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter on high speed until light and fluffy. Add sugar and beat until combined.
- Add eggs, cream of tartar, baking soda, peppermint, and salt to the butter mixture and beat until combined.
- Beat in the flour and press the mixture into a 9 by 13 pan. Bake for 23-25 minutes until dough is light brown. Allow to cool.
- In a clean bowl, beat butter on high speed until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and peppermint extract to the butter and beat until combined. Add milk as needed to the mixture to make it spreadable.
#ChristmasCookiesWeek Thursday Recipes
- Celebrating Sinterklaas with Speculaas by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chocolate Mint Thumbprints by Family Around The Table
- Chocolate Shortbread by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cinnamon Spice Sugar Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fruitcake Cookie Bars by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Cut Out Sugar Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Empire Cookies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Lemon Shortbread Sandwich Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Mexican Wedding Cookies by House of Nash Eats
- Mint Chocolate Thumbprints by Family Around the Table
- No Bake Bourbon Balls by Girl Abroad
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Cup Cereal Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Peppermint Brownie Bites by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Peppermint Patty Bars by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Red and White Pinwheel Cookies by Hardly A Goddess
- Truffle Filled Cookie Tarts by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- White Chocolate Peppermint Kiss Cookies by The Saucy Fig
Disclaimer: Thank you #ChristmasCookiesWeek sponsors: Adams Extract, Sprinkle Pop, YumGoggle and Silpat for providing the prizes free of charge. The #ChristmasCookiesWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Four (4) winners will be selected at random from entries received. The prize packages will be fulfilled by and sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. #ChristmasCookiesWeek bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household are not eligible to enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #ChristmasCookiesWeek posts or entry.