Orange Cranberry Wild Rice is a little sweet, tart, and nutty filled with the wonderful flavors of fall. It’s a delicious side dish paired with chicken, turkey or pork.
I’ve made a few variations of this Orange Cranberry Wild Rice dish over the years making it with quinoa and brown rice but I always come back to the wild rice. There’s just something terrific about it, the variety of colors and nuttiness in the mix works wonderfully with the sweetness of the orange and tartness of the cranberries.
I will note that the length of cook time depends on the brand of wild rice you use. I’ve used some brands that cook in 20 to 25 minutes and then some that take 35-40 minutes. I believe boxed wild rice cooks faster than bulk wild rice. Not entirely sure why but just FYI.
I think this would be a terrific dish to serve for Thanksgiving- a nice lighter alternative to the many heavy sides we tend to make. I’ve included it several years for some of my extended family who are vegetarians making it with veggie stock instead of chicken stock. If you don’t have fresh oranges to squeeze for orange juice go ahead and use orange juice from a jug (I promise it’s okay!).
This is my first post for Cranberry Week 2017. Check in tomorrow for Slow Cooker Cranberry Chicken and, on Thursday, Oatmeal Cranberry Pancakes.
What dish is a must for your Thanksgiving dinner?
Want more easy recipes like this? Get my e-book with 30 days of Easy Recipes!
Do you follow Jonesin’ For Taste on Facebook? Stop by, say hi, and let me know what kinds of recipes you want to see!
Orange Cranberry Wild Rice
- Saute diced onion in olive oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until soft and caramelized.
- Add dried cranberries, chicken broth, orange juice, orange zest, salt, and pepper to pan. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Cover pan and lower heat. Simmer for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 10 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
See all the other cranberry creations being shared as we kick off Cranberry week today. Be sure to follow #cranberryweek to see all the delicious recipes:
- Cranberry Chicken Salad Wrap by Making Miracles
- Cranberry Dijon Ham by Cookaholic Wife
- Cranberry Cider Punch by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cranberry Margaritas by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Cranberry Orange Wild Rice by Jonesin’ for Taste
- Fresh Cranberry Muffins by Family Around the Table
- Pickled Cranberries by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salad with Cranberry, Pear, Walnuts and Gorgonzola by Palatable Pastime