With just 6 ingredients, this Japanese style Pepper Steak is perfect for a weeknight dinner ready in just 30 minutes.
This Pepper Steak is another one of those dishes that I grew up on and remember my dad making all the time. Whenever I have this it always makes me think of home and being a kid and being so excited about having it for dinner and trying to get as much beef as I could without needing to eat the peppers. It is fun to be full circle now and watching my children do the same thing that I used to do.
You will love this dish because it is packed with flavor and is so quick to make. Stir frying is such a fabulous way to get a great dinner on the table in no time at all.
This is also a great opportunity to do some world exploring along with dinner. You can find lots of ideas in my East Asia Resource Guide.
Ingredients you need:
- round steak
- bell peppers
- soy sauce
- ground ginger
Sake is the best choice for the marinade but because it is not something we would frequently use and can be difficult to find, I’ve often swap it out for a chicken stock/rice vinegar blend and the flavor it still great.
What beef cuts work best?
This is a super simple recipe with practically no prep work and few steps. What I also love about this dish is the versatility in cuts meat you can use.
You can use any of these cuts:
- round steak
- skirt steak
- flank steak
- London broil
Can I use fresh ginger?
Yes, of course! If using fresh ginger, cut it into disks and saute in the oil along with the peppers. Remember to take it out before eating
Tips for preparing the steak for pepper steak:
The key for this dish is to slice the steak thin and cook it just until no longer pink. Steak in general can get really tough if overcooked so I cook it just until the pink is gone and no more.
If you have cut it thin enough there shouldn’t be any issues with eating any raw meat! Plus cutting the meat thin means it cooks really quickly and you can get eating sooner!
Tips for prepping this ahead of time
This is a great make ahead meal! I like to prep the meat and let it marinate overnight. That way when I come home I can have it ready in 20 minutes!
You could even prepare this as freezer meal and just pull it out of the freezer the morning off. To make it a freezer meal place the meat and marinade in a ziploc bag. In a separate ziploc place the cut bell peppers.
Other Asian recipes to make:
- Cantonese Style Black Pepper Beef with Green Beans
- Instant Pot Chinese Pork Shoulder Soup
- Garlic Soy Edamame
- 2 lbs. round steak cut across the grain into strips about 1/2 inch wide and 2 inches long
- 2 bell peppers any color, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup Sake or substitute 1/2 chicken stock and 1/2 rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- Marinate meat over night or at least two hours. When ready to cook, drain meat but reserve the marinade.
- Preheat a stir fry or large pan over medium high heat. Saute pepper strips in oil until crisp tender about 3-4 minutes.
- Then, saute meat in oil just until no pink is showing. Do not overcook! Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Next, return the pepper strips to the pan, add marinade and cook until the sauce begins to thicken. Cook for an additional minute. Return meat to pan and toss to coat the meat in the sauce.
- Serve immediately with sticky white rice.