Instant Pot Chinese Pork Shoulder Soup with baby bok choy, shittake mushrooms, and egg noodles in a rich broth seasoned with Chinese Five Spice.
The Instant Pot (or an electric pressure cooker) is a great tool to use to get tender slow cooker meat in a fraction of the time. Although this dish takes about 90 minutes to make from start to finish it’s mainly hands off time that allows you to place your focus elsewhere.
What is Chinese Five Spice?
There are many variations of Chinese Five Spice but the most common ingredients included are Chinese cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and star anise. This mix results in a unique spice blend that is sweet, savory, and spicy.
Although often associated with pork, Chinese Five Spice also pairs well with chicken and beef.
Where to find Shiitake mushrooms?
Shiitake mushrooms are widely available at most major supermarkets in the Asian food section. They come dried in a small bag and can be re-hydrated before use or, as is done in this recipe, used dry and then sliced later.
If you are unable to locate them in your local grocery store shiitake mushrooms are available on Amazon.
To make the pork soup in the instant pot:
- Add all of the spices, garlic, ginger, mushrooms and the liquid ingredients into the Instant Pot insert. Add cut up pork and add to pot. Cook on high pressure for 45 minutes.
- Release pressure and remove lid. Use a strainer to remove the ginger, garlic, and shiitake mushrooms. Discard ginger and garlic and slice mushrooms. Return mushrooms to pot.
- Add bok choy and cook on high pressure for 1 minute. Again release pressure and remove lid. Add cooked fine egg noodles.
What is bok choy?
Bok choy is a Chinese cabbage with a whitish green stem with a crunch similar to celery and smooth green leafs. Baby bok choy is what it sounds like, a smaller version the full grown bok choy.
Do you follow Jonesin’ For Taste on Facebook? Stop by, say hi, and let me know what kinds of recipes you want to see!
Other Asian style recipes:
Other soup recipes:
Instant Pot Chinese Pork Shoulder Soup
- 1 tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 cup dark soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 4 green onions chopped
- 8 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 inches fresh ginger unpeeled and sliced
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 3 lbs pork shoulder trimmed of large fat pieces
- 1 lb baby bok choy bottom stem removed and chopped (about 6 baby bok choy)
- 6 oz fine egg noodles
In the Instant Pot insert, add all of the spices, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, chicken broth, green onions, garlic, and ginger slices. Stir to combine.
Cut pork shoulder into 1 inch cubes and add to the sauce in the Instant Pot insert. Place lid on the Instant Pot, set valve to sealing, and cook on high pressure for 45 minutes.
About 5 minutes before Instant Pot is finished cooking, begin boiling water to cook the egg noodles. Cook according to package directions. Set aside.
When cooking is finished, release pressure. Once pressure has released, remove the lid and use a strainer or a skimmer to remove the mushrooms, ginger, and garlic. Slice the mushrooms and return to the pot. Discard ginger and garlic and return remaining ingredients to pot.
Add the baby bok choy. Replace lid, set valve to sealing and cook on high for 1 minute. Again, when cooking is finished, release pressure. Once pressure has released, remove Instant Pot lid.
Add egg noodles to soup. Allow to heat through.