Lemon yogurt muffins are a hearty protein packed lemon muffins made with whole wheat flour.
So I am one of those crazy people who likes to hunker down and make 5 or 6 different kinds of muffins like English muffins (almost the same thing right?), banana cranberry or oatmeal yogurt, or pancakes– Pumpkin Chocolate Chip, Orange Raspberry, or a Healthy Double Chocolate (oh my!) , or Apple Cinnamon doughnuts.
And then just because I’m the crazy of crazies I’ll make at least 2 kinds of breads as well. Then I let everything cool down and package it up in bags and stick them in the freezer.
Those are long days and I am utterly exhausted at the end but it’s totally worth it to have weeks worth of breakfasts and what not around. And yes, my kitchen does look like a hurricane has struck and possibly the world is ending. But a full freezer is worth it right?
I love to have a variety of quick breakfast options on hand and I like to have them be as healthy as possible. My kids follow in my footsteps and love chocolate but my hubby is more into tangy flavors. So I make peanut butter chocolate muffins for the kids and I. My hubby loves these Lemony Yogurt Muffins. And funny enough my son loves these too. He won’t abandon the pb chocolate ones but he jumps all over the lemon ones. I have to portion them out like candy, and that makes me happy.
These lemon yogurt muffins are hearty while still feeling light and with Greek yogurt and some whole wheat flour they have a little extra health packed into them!
Lemon Yogurt Muffins
Lemon Yogurt Muffins
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 lemon zested, and juiced (about 1/4 cup juice)
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp lemon extract
- 1 stick unsalted butter melted
- Whisk the dry ingredients together, including the lemon zest, in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the wet ingredients together.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and gently but quickly stir it all together. A few lumps are okay and definitely don't overmix.
- Scoop batter into a greased muffin tin or into liners in a muffin pan. Bake at 400 degrees F for 18 to 20 minutes until muffins are golden. Cool for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- I store these with no liners in the freezer in a Ziploc bag. They reheat well in the microwave or just when left out to thaw.
Adapted from Lemony Sour Cream Muffins from Parade Magazine