This Apple Bacon and Goat Cheese Salad is an easy fall recipe that is big on flavor. Made with mixed greens and a simple homemade honey mustard dressing it is a good side dish that can pair with lots of different main dishes.
Table of contents
I love the amazing salads that you can get at restaurants but I used to rarely make them at home. Then I realized how easy they were to make at home and I felt silly that I had been missing out all these years.
This salad checks off all the boxes- the tart apples, salty bacon, savory goat cheese, and slightly sweet dressing are an amazing combination!
I made it for my in-laws once and figured I should make a double batch. They usually don’t eat much so I wasn’t too worried. I was shocked when everyone came back for seconds!
- Dijon style mustard
- apple cider vinegar
- olive oil
- spring salad mix
- goat cheese
What apples would be good for this salad?
Any of the more sweet-tart apples that are similar to granny smith like Braeburn, Cortland, Empire, Jonathan, McIntosh, or Pink Lady will work well in green salads.
Tips and tricks
Slice the apples nice and thin. Thick apples will be harder to spear along with salad and no one wants flying apples at the dinner table.
Also, I like to use the Costco precooked bacon pieces for dishes like this so I don’t have to spend a ton of time cooking bacon. I keep it in the freezer and take out just what I need. Microwave or pan fry briefly and you are all set.
Lastly, goat cheese is very sticky. I like to try and break mine up before I open the package so I don’t end up with a ton of goat cheese stuck to my fingers. It’s good for threatening to touch your children but depending on your personality that might not be your thing.
What to eat with this salad?
Try these great pairings:
- 30 Minute Potato Bacon Chowder
- 90 Minute Parmesan Rosemary Rolls
- Slow Cooker Garlic Balsamic Pork Roast
- 1/4 cup bacon chopped
- 10 ounces spring salad mix
- 1 granny smith apple thinly sliced
- 4 ounces goat cheese crumbled
For Honey Mustard salad dressing:
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl, place salad mix, sliced apples, crumbled goat cheese, and bacon crumbles.
- In a small bowl, whisk together salad dressing ingredients until oil is fully incorporated and doesn’t immediately separate.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat.