This post is sponsored in conjunction with AppleWeek . I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the AppleWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
Apple Spice Poke Cake is a semi homemade cake with a spice cake base, caramel glaze, fresh whipped cream, and topped with super simple spiced apples.
Have you entered the AppleWeek giveaway yet? There are some seriously amazing prizes!
I made this cake and sent it with my husband to a pool party over Labor Day because I was staying home with a sleeping baby. A little while later, when I hadn’t heard anything from him I asked him if anyone had tried it yet. He texted me back telling me everyone was raving about it.
I finally showed up to the party about an hour later and had everyone coming up to me to tell me how amazing this cake is. I’ve learned that poke cakes bring out the happiness in people!
Some tips on making this cake:
- When starting with a box cake mix, use milk instead of the water and melted butter instead of the oil. It makes ALL the difference.
- Poke holes in the cake using a chopstick, fork, or wooden skewer.
- Before pouring the glaze on the cake, let it sit for 4-5 minutes. You want the cake to be warm but not right out of the oven hot.
How to make homemade whipped cream:
Make homemade whipped cream. It really doesn’t take that much extra time!
- Take cold heavy cream straight out of the fridge and pour into a stand mixer.
- Add 1/4 cup powdered sugar and whip it on medium to high speed.
- Stop when you get soft peaks. That means when you lift the whip attachment out of the whipped cream it leaves a little peak but is still able to easily stir it with a spoon or spatula.
- Don’t over whip it! If you over whip heavy cream it becomes butter!
Do you follow Jonesin’ For Taste on Facebook? Stop by, say hi, and let me know what kinds of recipes you want to see!
Other easy cake recipes that everyone raves about:
- Nutella Poke Cake
- Easy Orange Pound Cake
- Easy Banana Bundt Cake
- Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream Brownie Cake
Other AppleWeek recipes:
Apple Spice Poke Cake
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter or instead of the oil called for
- 1 cup milk or instead of the water called for
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup jarred caramel sauce
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
Apple Spice Poke Cake
- Make the cake according to the package directions replacing the water with milk and the oil with butter. Bake according to the directions on the package.
- Mix the sweetened condensed milk and the caramel together until well blended. Set aside.
- Once the cake is cooked, allow it to cool for 5 minutes. Poke holes with a skewer or fork and then pour the caramel glaze over the cake. Place cake in fridge.
- Add butter to a large pan over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add apple slices and cook for 5 minutes to soften the apples.
- Add brown sugar, vanilla extract, apple pie spice and kosher salt to the apples and stir to combine. Continue to cook over medium heat until apples are soft, about 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cold water and cornstarch. Pour the cornstarch mixture into the apple mixture.
- Once the apples are soft, turn up the heat to medium high and cook for 2-3 minutes to thicken the syrup. The apples and syrup will be ready once it reaches the same consistency as maple syrup. Allow to cool.
- In a stand mixer, take the heavy cream straight from the fridge and pour it into the stand mixer bowl. Add 1/4 cup powdered sugar and whip on medium high speed until the mixture has soft peaks.
- Spread whipped cream over the top of the cake. Add the spiced apples over the whipped cream. Chill for 2 hours before serving.