Quiche is a great brunch item. You can make it up ahead of time or turn it into a make your own quiche bar.
There are lots of dishes that are a great way to use up leftovers. I think almost every culture has come up with some way to use whatever thy have on hand to make a great dish. Burritos, Pad Thai, Baked Frittata, pasta puttanesca, breakfast hash, etc.
Quiche is one of those dishes that is perfect for leftovers. I used our leftover Easter ham, leftover kale, and a mix of leftover cheeses I needed to use in the drawer to make the quiche this time.
What to serve with quiche:
In the past we made up a few different kinds of quiche to appease different family members. I love that about quiche how you can have so many different varieties to appeal to all the different people in your family. The base mix is the same.
What size dish can you make quiche in?
Depending on the shape and size of your ramekins you will have to carefully watch the cooking time. I used a combination of 6 ounce oval ramekins and a 7 ounce round ramekin. The round ramekin took a little bit longer to cook than the oval ones.
Each 6 ounce ramekin was definitely enough for 2 servings. If you wanted you could use 4 ounce ramekins and I would start by decreasing the cooking time to about 15-2o minutes to start.
I got white ramekins as hand me downs but I found these beautiful ramekins from Le Creuset on Amazon. Be still my heart they are my favorite color and match the teapot I got for my birthday a few years ago. They have them available in several different colors too!
If you need other brunch ideas you might like:
Basic Quiche with Mix In Ideas
This recipe for a basic quiche mix is easy to customize with your favorite meats and vegetables for a wonderful savory breakfast.
- 2- 9 inch pie crusts
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup cheese, my favorite is a combo of sharp cheddar cheese and a jack or swiss cheese
- 2 cups total of mix in options
- salt and pepper, to taste
Mix in options:
- Meats: Ham, Crab, Bacon, Shrimp, Sausage
- Veggies: Green onion, cooked spinach, lightly steamed broccoli, sauteed onion, mushrooms, bell peppers, tomatoes, cooked kale, leftover baked potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Have pie tin ready with pie crust already prepared.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add yogurt and milk and mix again till combined. Add cheese and briefly stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in no more than 2 cups of the mix in options. For example, use 1 cup chopped ham, 3/4 cup chopped kale, lightly packed, and 1/4 cup green onion.
- For a 9 inch pie pan, bake for 50-60 minutes or until the center of the quiche is set when gently jiggled. If edges begin to brown too quickly cover loosely with foil.
- If making individual quiches use approximately 4-5 6-ounce ramekins and bake for 35-45 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 177mg Sodium: 685mg Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 4g Protein: 22g