This Overnight Cinnamon Roll French Toast Bake combines the flavor of cinnamon rolls with the convenience of a breakfast casserole. It is an easy make ahead breakfast recipe that is good for a brunch crowd.
I love breakfast casseroles that I can make up the night before and stick it in the oven in the morning. It’s also good brunch recipe for a crowd that frees up other time so you can actually spend time with your guests!
- brioche bread or french bread
- brown sugar
- powdered sugar
How to make cinnamon roll french toast bake?
- Cut a large french bread loaf into 1 inch cubes. Lay out on a cookie sheet and allow to dry as you continue to make the rest of the bake. Prepare a 9 x 13 pan by greasing the bottom and sides with cooking spray or butter.
- In a large bowl mix together, eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla, and brown sugar. Mix well.
- Add bread to egg mixture and toss to coat the bread. Pour mixture into the prepared casserole dish and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Store in refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning, remove the casserole dish from the fridge and preheat your oven.
- Make the cinnamon sugar topping and sprinkle evenly over the entire dish.
- Bake until a knife comes out clean from the center of the dish. Allow the bake to cool for 10 minutes and then drizzle the top with the cinnamon roll icing. Serve immediately.
Variations on the french toast bake:
-For pineapple upside down french toast bake, add 2 cups chopped fresh pineapple or drained pineapple tidbits to the bread mixture before storing overnight.
-For apple pie french toast bake, add 2 cups diced fresh apples to the bread mixture and swap the cinnamon for apple pie spice.
If you want to make a version with summer berries, try this mixed berry french toast bake.
Do you follow Jonesin’ For Taste on Facebook? Stop by, say hi, and let me know what kinds of recipes you want to see!
You need to allow enough time for the bread to soak up the egg mixture. Although an overnight soak is best, allow the casserole to sit for at least 30 minutes before baking.
What to serve with this for brunch:
French Toast Mix:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk again I used almond milk
- Beat together eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla, and brown sugar, if using French bread, in a large bowl. Add cut bread and stir to cover as much as you can in just a few turns.
- Pour the french toast mix into a greased 9×13 casserole pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
- Remove casserole dish from refrigerator and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using a pastry blender combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle over the top of the french toast mix and bake for 35-45 minutes depending on how soft you want the french toast to be.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, make your frosting by combining the frosting ingredients together in a small bowl with a fork or whisk until smooth. Pour over the french toast bake and serve.