Easy 30 Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup uses mainly pantry ingredients for a hearty and comforting soup that is sure to please the family.
I happen to love all kinds of soups and stews and have no problem eating them year round. My husband prefers stews since they tend to have less broth and are more hearty. I don’t blame him. So I make my soups on the heartier side with lots of stuff in them.
This Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is really easy to throw together in half an hour. It uses many items that you can typically find in the pantry or freezer and it’s lovely and warm and comforting.
How to make Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- In a large pot, saute onion and peppers.
- Add garlic and spices.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve topped with tortilla strips, cilantro, and avocado slices, if desired.
Wanting to introduce your children to more Latin American dishes? Get started with this resource guide on How To Make Latin American Food Kid Friendly!
Tips for making Chicken Tortilla Soup even easier:
- Use rotisserie chicken or make your own rotisserie chicken in the slow cooker.
- Freeze cut up onions and peppers for recipes like this. It speeds up the prepping process.
- You can freeze this soup in an air tight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before bringing the soup to serving temperature in a pot.
Other soup recipes:
Easy 30 Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions cut into medium dice
- 1 bell pepper any color
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes fire roasted diced, or Mexican style stewed, or any combination of the two
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 16 oz frozen corn or 1 can
- 2 4 oz cans green chilies chopped
- 2 15.5 oz cans black beans
- 4 cups chicken chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Tortilla chips to serve
- 1 avocado sliced
- Heat oil in large soup kettle over medium-high heat. Add onions and peppers; sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic cloves, chili powder, and oregano; sauté 1 minute longer.
- Add tomatoes, broth, corn, chilies, beans and chicken; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, to blend flavors, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro; let stand a couple of minutes. (after cooling, the soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days). Serve warm with tortilla chips.