There is still 2 days to link up with the Merry Monday Linky party which I am co-guest hosting the next two weeks. This is one of my favorite link ups so I am so excited to be guest hosting!
A few weeks ago I saw this Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken by One Lovely Life pop up in my blog roll and it reignited a recipe that I have had floating around for a while now. I happen to adore all things citrus and really love orange and lemon together. There’s just something about the sweet orange blending with the tart lemon that gets me all sorts of excited. I know it’s weird and I really can’t explain it, so just go with it will ya?
This is super simple and turns out a beautifully tender and juicy turkey breast that is so tasty by itself and just terrific tossed with a green salad. You could even do it one way the first night and use the leftovers to make a salad the next night. And let me tell you our house smelled amazing! My husband kept walking around commenting on how good everything smelled. You can serve this with some breadmaker bread and a green salad like I did or alongside some asparagus and oven roasted Garlic and Herb Potatoes for a little more down home dinner. Using the breadmaker and the slow cooker meant I kept the heat down to the bare minimum but still had a rockin’ meal for dinner. So I got to enjoy time with my family playing card games and watching Frozen (which the little miss got for her birthday and we have watched 4 times already).
Giving orange and lemon slices a quick saute and adding it to the platter gives the dish added elegance and is nice to squeeze over the meat to get just a little extra juice. If you don’t want to do this step go ahead and omit it as it isn’t totally necessary to the flavor of the dish.
Orange Lemon Slow Cooker Turkey
- 4 lbs turkey roast I used a boneless
- 1 large orange quartered
- 2 medium lemons quartered
- 1 large onion quartered
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- additional lemon and orange sliced, optional
- additional 1 Tbsp olive oil optional
- Place turkey roast in slow cooker. Combine garlic, spices, and 1 Tbsp olive oil in a small bowl and rub over turkey. Place lemon, orange, and onion quarters around roast. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Remove turkey from slow cooker and allow to rest for 15 minutes. Then cut into slices and spoon some of the juices over cut slices. Cover with foil and keep warm.
- In a saute pan, heat the additional 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced orange and lemon and saute for 3 to 4 minutes on one side until browned. Use to garnish the dish and serve with each portion. You could also grill the slices if you prefer to do that.