Made with canned pumpkin and veggies this rich German style pumpkin soup comes together quickly in just 30 minutes for a comforting winter soup. It is warm and simply seasoned with the favorite fall spice ground cloves.
Pumpkin soup is fairly common in Germany and Switzerland and it’s one that my husband had many times in the 2 years he was living in Switzerland. He said this is a close approximation to the soup he had and he’s always excited when I make it.
How to make pumpkin soup?
- Start by cooking the veggies in olive oil in a large pot until soft and caramelized.
- Add spices, pumpkin, milk, and stock and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Use a hand blender or a regular blender and blend until completely smooth.
Can pumpkin soup be frozen?
The soup will keep for about a week in the fridge. Pumpkin soup can be frozen for up to 3 months. To reheat, allow soup to thaw completely in the fridge. Add soup to a pot and warm through but do not boil.
Is pumpkin soup vegan?
Pumpkin soup is very simple to make vegetarian or vegan. Simply swap the butter for olive oil and the milk for coconut milk or almond milk.
I make this soup with almond milk on a regular basis and it turns out great.
I like to serve the soup in bread bowls for children. This soup is a new flavor for most kids, but serving it in a fun way and in something you know they will eat, makes them much more likely to have a positive experience with it.
Subscribe to our mailing list and receive the free 30 Day Easy Meals e-book
Do you follow Jonesin’ For Taste on Facebook? Stop by, say hi, and let me know what kinds of recipes you want to see!
What to make with pumpkin soup? Serve along with:
German Style Pumpkin Soup
- Saute celery, onions, and radishes in butter for 5 minutes until softened and caramelized. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, blend soup until smooth. Check seasonings and adjust to taste.
- Serve alongside salad and bread. Makes 6 servings.