Easy Homemade Creamy Tomato Soup
Enjoying a bowl of delicious homemade tomato soup is just a few ingredients away! Ready in less than 30 minutes, you will love this creamy version that is so easy to make.
If you have picky eaters, blended products like smoothies are a great way for them to get the fruit and vegetables they need while you work on texture or other issues with them. Although we love our Kiwi Banana Smoothie or Pink Dragon Fruit Smoothie, having something savory to include is always good.
I like to serve this with another of their favorites- Goldfish Cracker Crusted Baked Chicken! They are a great pair and are also really easy for kids to help make.
- stewed tomatoes
- tomato puree
- chicken stock
- dried rosemary
- olive oil
You can use any dairy free milk substitute you would like. I have made this with soy, almond and coconut milk and we enjoyed all the versions but my favorite is almond milk.
If you are short on time, pick up a bag of frozen chopped carrots and onions to use instead of chopping your own.
Although tomato puree is best because it is thicker, if you cannot find it, you can use tomato sauce and tomato paste. See notes section for measurements.
Also, you can swap canned diced tomatoes for the stewed tomatoes if you prefer.
Make sure to blend this in smaller batches. When blending hot products, the liquid will expand and can build up pressure causing the blender top to pop off. Placing a towel over the top of the blender and holding the lid in place can help.
If you are still concerned, using a hand blender can be a safer option.
Cooking with kids tips
I like to have the kids help me make this since it’s something they have always liked. This helps them to remember that it isn’t that they don’t like vegetables, it’s perhaps they don’t like the way the vegetables are served.
Have them help with as much of the process as you think will interest them, even if it’s just helping blend up the final product.
See here for more tips on cooking with kids!
Other recipes you may like
- Easy 30 Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 30 Minute German Style Pumpkin Soup
- Slow Cooker Erwtensoep (Dutch Split Pea Soup)
Do you follow Jonesin’ For Taste on Facebook? Stop by, say hi, and let me know what kinds of recipes you want to see!
- 3 large carrots chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 29 ounce cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 16 ounce can tomato puree
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Fresh basil
- 1 cup milk can use dairy free option (optional)
- In a large pot, saute carrots and onions over medium heat in the olive oil until soft about 6-7 minutes.
- Add the stewed tomatoes, tomato puree, chicken stock, dry basil, dried rosemary, salt and black pepper to pot.
- Working in batches, puree in a blender until smooth.
- Pour back into pot and adjust seasonings to taste and add milk, if using. Bring soup back up to serving temperature. Sprinkle with freshly chopped basil.
Jade this soup sounds so good! And it is ☔️! Perfect soup weather! I love the carrots in it!
Thanks Amy! It’s always nice to be able to sneak some extra veggies into something everyone loves.
I need a blender! My son has food allergies, but I can’t choose one recipe I want to try. They all look delicious.
Jade this soup looks so good! Excited to try this recipe!!