Chock full of veggies and ready in just 30 minutes, Sausage & Veggie Spaghetti is a perfect hearty dish that may just get a picky eater to eat their veggies!
Every time I make this dish I chuckle to myself. When I was a kid I would pick out every last veggie out of the spaghetti and, when I got more, I would try to get as much sausage as possible. Now I enjoy all of the different elements of the dish and no longer pick out certain items.
To my surprise the last time I made this dish my picky eater who rarely eats veggies was eating bowl after bowl and kept exclaiming, “Mmm, this zucchini is so yummy Mama!” I’m pretty sure I about fell out of my chair. I was just staring at her in disbelief. I really do believe that the more often you offer dishes to your children the more they will come around to them. It’s been the case with just about everything my children have tried and now love!
This is a perfect dish to take advantage of those seasonal veggies sales during the winter and spaghetti is cheap. I like to use whole wheat spaghetti in this for the extra hearty factor.
The most time consuming part of this dish is cutting all the veggies. I cut the sausage and cabbage and cook those up. As the cabbage cooks I quickly cut the rest of the veggies.
What dish did you not like as a kid that you love now?
Want more easy recipes like this? Get my e-book with 30 days of Easy Recipes!
- 1 lb. turkey polska kielbasa or smoked sausage, cut into half moon slices
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 small cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1 lg red pepper, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 lg. zucchini, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 lg. onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tsp chicken bouillon
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp course grind pepper
- 1 lb whole wheat spaghetti
- In a large skillet, lightly brown sausage in butter; remove from skillet.
- Add cabbage and stir-fry for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare spaghetti according to package directions.
- Add red pepper, zucchini, onion, and garlic and stir fry an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in sausage, bouillon, water & spices and simmer 5 minutes.
- Toss hot spaghetti with sausage and veggies.