Easy Mini Spinach Calzones is a tasty appetizer or snack with a creamy Parmesan spinach filling that is a crowd pleaser for game day.
These mini calzones are full of creamy cheesy goodness in a pizza dough square package. These are appetizers that everyone will like including the kids.
My kiddos ate a whole mess of these when I made them. If I had know this was all it took to get my kids to eat spinach I would have made them a whole lot sooner.
Sometimes I am so surprised by what my kids eat, and don’t eat. Does that ever happen to you?
I served these up with some lighter spicy buffalo chicken thighs and rice for dinner. For game day, I would add Slow Cooker Honey Chinese Chicken and Goldfish Cracker Crusted Baked Chicken for savory options. For dessert you could include a bunch of Mini Cheesecakes (and they don’t necessarily have to be in a flag).
- pizza dough
- frozen spinach
- cream cheese
- parmesan cheese
- marinara sauce
You can use homemade pizza dough or store bought. If you use the refrigerated pizza dough it will make it even easier which is good if you are trying to make a lot of them or making them with children.
You definitely want to use frozen spinach not fresh spinach. Fresh spinach won’t cook down in the calzones and will be very unappetizing.
How to make this
- To make the calzones, I rolled out the pizza dough into a big square.
- I cut them into twenty 2-inch squares and used a mini cookie scoop to add the filling to them. If you don’t have a mini cookie scoop its approximately 2 teaspoons of filling. The cookie scoop makes it really easy to quickly fill the pizza dough squares.
- Bake in a 450 degree F oven for about 10 minutes until a light golden brown.
Do you follow Jonesin’ For Taste on Facebook? Stop by, say hi, and let me know what kinds of recipes you want to see!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese. Add the spinach, minced onion, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and beat to combine.
- Roll pizza dough out into a large square. Cut into 20 squares (equal to 4 horizontal cuts and 5 vertical cuts).
- Using a mini cookie scoop, put a scoop of spinach filling onto each square. A mini cookie scoop is approximately 2 tsp. Fold the squares in half and pinch the edges to seal.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly. If desired serve with spaghetti or marinara sauce for dipping.