Fruit Filled Chicken Salad is chock full of delicious pineapples, grapes, mandarin oranges, apples and cashews. Swap the traditional mayo for Greek yogurt for a lighter version.
My mother-in-law has a great chicken salad recipe that she gave me that I make fairly frequently. If you are wary of using just Greek yogurt in the chicken salad I’ve found that a 50/50 combo of mayo and Greek yogurt works really well. It’s still lighter than the full mayo version which is good and it is just as creamy as the original. We also prefer the mayo with olive oil to traditional mayo but use what you like.
I love having fruit in my chicken salad. I just love the burst of juicy sweetness when you bite into it and I think it is especially pleasant in this chicken salad. I tend to throw in whatever suits my fancy at the moment so feel free to substitute some of the ingredients.
If you are looking for another chicken salad recipe you can find a different variation here: Tropical Chicken Salad Sandwiches.
- 1 lb cooked chicken shredded
- 1 golden delicious apple chopped
- 1 can pineapple tidbits drained
- 1-2 green onions chopped
- 1 lb. red seedless grapes quartered
- 1 15 oz can mandarin oranges
- 1/2 cup chopped cashews
- ¾ - 1 cup mayonnaise mayo with olive oil, or low-fat Greek yogurt
- soy sauce
- lettuce or rolls for serving
- Mix all ingredients, except grapes and mandarin oranges, together and add enough mayo to stick everything together. Add a couple to a few shakes of soy sauce.
- Then add the grapes and oranges and gently mix so they don’t squish. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Serve over a bed of lettuce for lettuce wrap style chicken salad or on rolls for a more traditional meal.