Meatball Pizza is a kid friendly alternative with fresh basil, cherry tomatoes, and hidden veggie meatballs.
I was talking with my husband about dinners and what we wanted on the meal plan for that particular week. He chimes in about wanting pizza and I mentioned that we had just had it a week or so before and he countered back with a “yeah, so?” I reminded him of how he had told me he got tired of having the same thing too frequently and then he told me that it doesn’t apply to pizza. What?! Now you tell me! We’ve only been married for almost 9 years. SMH!
After that conversation all of the pizza ideas I have had floating around needed to be made. So we’re going to end up having pizza almost every week this month. And I am so excited!
I wanted to try to do something new with my favorite meatball other than the Healthy Meatball Sandwiches we often do or spaghetti and meatballs. So we thought it would be perfect on a pizza. My kids were a bit wary of trying a pizza other than cheese or pepperoni but I was really hopeful they might like the meatball one. It was a hit with both, thank goodness!
You’ll only need 5 or 6 meatballs per pizza so save the rest for those meatball sandwiches! They freeze wonderfully!
- 1 prepared pizza crust
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 5-6 meatballs halved
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes
- fresh basil chopped
- Spread sauce over pizza crust and evenly top with mozzarella cheese.
- Cut meatballs in half and place on top of cheese.
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half, or quarters if very large, and place face up on top of pizza.
- Sprinkle a small palmful of chopped basil over top of pizza.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 10-15 minutes depending on crust thickness, until edges are golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Top with more basil once out of oven. Slice and enjoy!