Oatmeal crumble topping, apples, and frozen berries combine for a flavorful pie perfect for any gathering.
Sometimes I have epic fails where I decide I want to make a dish thinking I have all of the ingredients I need. Then when I go to make it I realize that either I don’t have enough or I don’t have that ingredient at all. Whoops! Most of the time it means that I put my plans on the back burner but sometimes I try to see if I can make it work. Thankfully it works out sometimes.
So one day I made the mistake of telling my hubby that I was going to make an apple pie only to head over to the kitchen and realize that I only had just TWO green apples. Oh man. The look on his face when I said I didn’t have enough apples made me feel SOOOOOO guilty. So I was off to see if I could figure something out. Thankfully I always have a stash of frozen fruit in the fridge since we have smoothies multiple times a week. I pulled out a triple berry mix and went to work and the results were AWESOME! Marriage saved by frozen fruit (just kidding he still would have loved me)!
I used my trusty ol’ pie crust recipe. Still haven’t found a pie crust recipe that is easier or more forgiving. I also used the crumble from that recipe for this as well.
- 1 9-inch pie crust (homemade or store bought)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 cups sliced green apples
- 3 cups frozen triple berry mix
- ½ c quick oats
- ½ c flour
- ½ c butter
- 1 c brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- Combine beaten eggs, sour cream, and sugar in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, and salt. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Add apples and frozen berry mix to wet mixture and again stir to combine. Pour into unbaked pie shell.
- In a separate bowl, put quick oats, flour, brown sugar, and salt. Cut chilled butter into small cubes and add to the mix. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the oatmeal mixture until you have roughly pea-sized chunks. Sprinkle crumble mix over apple berry filling.
- Bake at 375 for 45-55 minutes. If edges and top begin to brown too quickly top with foil and continue baking. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.