Portobello Mushroom Burgers are a fantastic meatless meal and full of flavor when topped with pesto, roasted red peppers, and cheese!
I’ve been trying to vary up our menu and do a meatless meal each week and offer a greater variety of veggies. I thought doing a mushroom burger would be great. Mushrooms have a great meatiness to them which makes them a good substitute for meat.
They also cook up really quickly which is another bonus. You can grill them outside during warmer months or pan fry them during cooler months. These are really hearty and I love to serve them with sweet potato fries and a fruit salad.
I topped this burger with roasted red peppers, fontina cheese, and kale pesto and it was a definite winner! I think some toasted sourdough would be fantastic or a garlic-y type bread!
I’m even thinking of doing a breakfast burger with portobello mushrooms! Oh boy! Off to the store to find some good bread and mushrooms! And if you love mushrooms like me I think you will love these recipes- Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy and Gnocchi with Mushroom Cream Sauce.
Portobello Mushroom Burger
- 4 Hamburger Buns or 8 slices of your bread of choice
- 4 portobello mushroom caps
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 roasted red peppers
- 4 slices fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup Prepared pesto
- Roast 2 whole red peppers in a 450 F degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and place in a bowl and cover with a plate or plastic wrap until cool. Remove skin of bell pepper.
- Brush the portobello mushroom on one side with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill for 3-5 minutes until browned. Repeat on the reverse side.
- Place portobello mushroom onto your choice of bread. Top mushroom burger with roasted red pepper, fontina cheese, and pesto.